Bow Ties & Bandits
Dear friends, We've moved! Join us here: Pastiche

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Terrible Poem Tuesday

I'm in a poetry class this quarter. I have to suffer so you do too. (Not that I don't really mind writing poetry, it's just that whole critiquing poetry thing. How are you supposed to do that? With essays, it's easy. It makes sense or it doesn't. It's grammatically correct or it's not. With poetry, you can do whatever the heck you want. So welcome to my life for the next 10 weeks.)
This week's assignment: Write a direct address to "you."

Give You Away
by Kelly Maitlen


Do
Not
Touch me.

All day
You ignore me.


I try to hold you
But you push me
Away.

Now
You want to be near me?
Now
You want my love?

Leave
Me
Alone.

We sleep alone at night.
What makes you think
I want you here now
in the day?

Your body
has no place
next to mine.
This bed
is only big enough
for one.

I am beneath these blankets
to keep you out
not to entice you beneath them.

I just
Want
To sleep.

Have you finally gone?
Thank—
God!
Get
Out
Now.

Keep your whiskers
Off my cheek
And your nose
Out of my ear
And for God’s sake

Get
Off
My head!

Fine.
You win.

Oh don’t smirk.
You forget
These hands
Are the ones that feed you.
These, the fingers
That scratch your ears.

I know.
I love you, too.

Wake me again tomorrow
And I’ll
Give
You
Away.



(ed., As if you didn't already know I'm a crazy cat lady. Yikes. Might as well end off strong with a picture of my cats, Cricket and Ducky.)

No comments: