Bow Ties & Bandits
Dear friends, We've moved! Join us here: Pastiche

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Staunch Characters

I watched the remake of "Grey Gardens" recently. Although I don't know if you can truly "remake" a documentary, it turned out wonderfully, I think. I mean, yes, The Edies may be endearing in their lunacy, but while you're watching them, you can't help but wonder how they could possibly have turned out the way they did--which is where the new "Grey Gardens" swoops in to explain what caused their downfall in society. Plus we all learned that Drew Barrymore doesn't have to talk out of the side of her mouth.
But.
On the note of Staunch Characters I love ("staunch" here meaning 1. Firm or steadfast in principle, adherence, loyalty,etc., 2. Characterized by firmness, steadfastness, or loyalty 3. Strong; substantial 4. Impervious to water or other liquids)

Santino Rice and Austin Scarlett
Not only are they strong of character, they're also ridiculous. And I'm pretty sure Austin's hair is "impervious to water."

Bonnie Hunt
"Strong and substantial." I'm sure also "loyal" and all that other nonsense, but really...I just love her.

Tim Gunn
I obviously watch a lot of "Project Runway."

"Spellbound" Documentary Contestants
Calm in the face of words they don't know how to spell. I also obviously watch a lot of documentaries. Speaking of which, if you haven't seen this movie, watch it. Now. Seriously. I bet they all know the etymology of the word "staunch," how to spell it, and can use it in a sentence.

John Cleese
Also impervious to water. He was, after all, a newt for a very short while. Although thankfully, he got better.

President Polk (aka "Young Hickory." Not to be confused with Franklin Pierce, "Young Hickory of the Granite Hills." Let's get it right, people.)
No particular reason. I just feel like he was. Oh and there's this interesting fact about him, "Polk survived a gallstone operation at age 17 without anesthesia or antiseptics. Those medical practices were not used at the time."

It would be incredibly narcissistic to include myself in this list, but well, too bad. I just won't include a picture of myself. (How's that for humble?) I've just finally found a word to describe myself that isn't "stubborn" so I'm going to claim it completely.

"...and I tell you if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what."--Little Edie

2 comments:

Seth said...

Hah, funny you mention James Polk. He's among my favorite presidents because he served a fairly quiet term (hence the fact we rarely hear about him), kept every one of his four campaign promises, and worked so hard during his term that it was literally the death of him. A truly humble servant of the people, and an example for what every president should strive to be.
Seth

Kelly said...

Seriously! I don't why I immediately thought of him, but once I did some (incredibly brief) research, he really does seem like he was an amazing man.