Bow Ties & Bandits
Dear friends, We've moved! Join us here: Pastiche

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Congrats on Turning 71! (Except you, Wizard of Oz)

Apparently The Wizard of Oz turned 71 this year.
Really?
Is this a landmark birthday? For a movie, I dare to say "No!" Yet for the following people, I declare "Yes!" I shout it loudly at the top of my lungs, "Yes! Yes! Yes! This IS a landmark birthday!"
In the pursuit of pure scientific discovery, here is a list of people who are 71 this year. Be prepared to be surprised.

Are/Will Be:
David Winters--Actor. West Side Story.

Dion DiMucci-- of Dion and the Belmonts fame

George Hamilton-- Actor. 2 episodes of "Columbo." Just kidding. But seriously he was.

Ginger Young--I'm just going to insert some Wikipedia tidbits. The important parts.
American model. Actress. Playmate of the Month, May 1960. Likeness on recordings released by RCA, Capitol Records, and Warner Bros. Did a commercial for Chock Full O'Nuts Coffee.

Ian McKellen--Actor. Gandolf. Duh.

John Cleese--Actor. "Fawlty Towers" is by far my favorite series of his.
Lily Tomlin--Actress. If you don't know who she is...shame on you.

Michael Learned--Actress, "The Waltons"!!!!!! I loved that show. I almost put her on the wrong list because I vaguely remember something terrible happening to her character's health.

Neil Sedaka--Singer. I'm not going to lie. I was surprised he was on this list instead of the, uh, other one.

Phil Spector---Ehhhhhh professional creepo....
Ralph Lauren--Designer. Apparently, he did the wardrobe for Annie Hall. Of course he did...

Sonny Chiba--Actor. A bunch of Japanese movies I can't pronounce. And Kill Bill.

Tina Turner--Singer. Big hair. Hip swivel. Done and done.

Would Be:
Dusty Springfield--Singer. "Wishin' and Hopin'"
Harvey Pekar--Writer/Actor. American Splendor
Lee Harvey Oswald--Actor in a film called "Life." Character: Normal Human Being.
Marvin Gaye--Amazing musician.
Sal Mineo--Actor, also in "Columbo"...interesting. And something called Rebel Without a Cause, or something. I don't know.


Happy Birthday, you guys. You deserve it.
Back off Wizard of Oz. Wait 4 more years and I'll celebrate with you.

No comments: